Sunday, March 16, 2008

Pro vs. Con

The controversy of government controlled trans fat in restaurants has sparked debate not only among restaurant owners but ordinary citizens as well.

Supporter of the trans fat regulation argue that it will lead to healthier lives and be very beneficial. They believe that the obesity epidemic in the United States has gotten out of control and this is the first step to controlling it. Science and statistics have shown that the new trans fat regulation will prevent heart disease and prevent the number of heart attacks and deaths each year.

Opponents of the regulation argue that the government does not have the right to control what people eat. Restaurants will have to switch to different types of oil, which for the most part are more expensive. This would cause them to raise their prices for their services as well as their products. Other studies show that the trans fat regulation will really have no effect on the population, as it would not prevent heart attacks or disease as people would continue to eat what they want no matter what the government says.

3 comments:

Kyle said...

I would have to be a supporter of the trans fat regulation. Even if it doesn't work wonders, it is a step in the right direction. I also think that expensive oil is a small price to pay for longer, healthier lives.

what side are you arguing?

Reina said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Reina said...

I'm reallly interested in your topic! I have wanted to learn about the whole trans fat thing for a while now and I'm happy I can finally get the chance. Well first off, I think that the government should get involved. It will cause healthier lives, which is something the general public deserves. I think it would be great if you put some personal experiences from people about their reactions to obesity. For example, my dad went from 90 pounds to over 200 since he came from India because of all the fatty foods and fast food! I think that your topic is gonna be really interesting especially because of the new "low fat" products coming out from soo many different companies. Your topic seems cool and I hope you find a lot of information, hopefully arguing on my side ;)

Which stand are you taking?